Thursday, April 12, 2007

Personal Learning Goal #2

This past week I set a goal for myself to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Until I had to work on gettting that much sleep, I didn't realize how sleep deprived I was! I would go to bed at 1 or 2 am on a good day, and wake up for 8:00 class. Since I am a person who needs a lot of sleep, I thought it would be a good thing to revamp my sleep schedule so that I could better concentrate in my classes. Each day I made a schedule for myself of things that I needed to do for the next day and another schedule that involoved long-term projects. Then as I went through my day it was easier not to procrastinate and to be on top of things so that I had everything done by the time it was time for bed at midnight. This system is working out really well for me, I am continuing it into this week to see how it works on a prolonged basis, which I think it will. Some things I noticed this week were that I had a longer attention span and I found most class material more engaging. Also, I was far more motivated to actually start homework and go to class than usual (connection to Chapter 10!!) and although I typically have a ton of energy anyway, my energy level was only increased by getting more sleep. I also daydreamed less, which is always a plus. I did notice that my social life went down the drain however, so I think in the future I will make sure that I schedule time to hang out with my friends even if it's just for a little while becuase I don't want to continue to be a hermit just so I could get to bed on time!

No comments: