Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Vagina Monologues

This was my second time seeing the Vagina Monologues and I enjoyed them more this time for a couple of reasons. First of all, I was prepared in advance for the shock factor of the content unlike the last time. I still found myself getting embarrassed or uncomfortable from time to time, but I feel that is an okay thing. Also, I knew several of the cast members and I had a great time watching them showcase their talents.

The reason I went a second time to see a show that is so controversial is because I feel seeing the show brings a greater awareness for women's issues. Everything from funny anecdotes about menstruation to heart-wrenching stories of rape are addressed by this production are all powerful and have a deeper meaning: that of the respect of women and how much still needs to be done in the global society.

This year's theme was all about striving for peace and with the war in Iraq and the genocide in Darfur, among many other horrific events, I felt this was an appropriate one.

No comments: